Upside Down Management
People are one of the main reasons for our success at Timpson. The way we do things is based on what we call 'upside down management'. Our customers and then our branch colleagues are the most important people to the business. They are then supported by the rest of the team.
Upside Down Management is not a process, it is a culture. Upside Down Management gives power to the people in the front line who meet customers and make the money - everyone else is there to help. These are the basic principles:
- All colleagues have the freedom to do their job the way they choose.
- Every boss's job is to help his or her team.
- No KPI's, no boxes to tick.
- Bosses don't issue orders.
- Head Office is a helpline - it does not run the day-to-day business.