Planning a summer holiday to Europe? Make sure you’re travel ready

Travel to the EU

Holidays to Europe this summer are now likely. Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, labelled spring and summer as ‘seasons of hope’ while announcing the UK’s lockdown exit plan. With the promise of many restrictions being lifted, there’s never been a better time to ensure your documents are travel ready. Read our handy guide to discover how Timpson can help you with passport photos and driving licence photos in the months ahead.


Did you know passport rules for travelling to Europe have changed following Brexit? Since January 1st, you’ll need at least 6 months left on an adult or child passport to travel. It also needs to be less than 10 years old. This handy checking tool from GOV.UK, makes it easy to discover if your passport is valid for travel to specific countries in Europe. 

If you need to apply for a passport or renew an existing one, the first step is to have your passport photo taken. An easy way to do this is to find and visit your nearest Timpson shop. Our friendly, professional colleagues are on hand to take your passport photo and can even offer advice on how to look good in passport photos. 

You’ll receive a: printed passport photo, digital passport photo and photo code, which you can use in your online passport application. All of Timpson’s passport photos are guaranteed. This means our passport photos fully comply with regulations introduced by the UK Passport Service (UKPS).

Driving Documents 

Driving Licence

If you plan on driving while travelling in Europe, you’ll need to carry your UK driving licence alongside  your UK passport. Check your UK driving licence is still valid - you could face a fine of up to £1000 if caught driving with an expired licence. This is easy to do, simply check the date in line 4b on the front of your photocard licence.

Don’t have a photocard licence? Or have a licence issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man? Some European countries may also require you to hold an international driving permit (IDP) alongside your licence. 

If it’s time to renew your driving licence, Timpson’s expert colleagues can help. Simply find and visit your nearest Timpson shop where our friendly, Covid-secure colleagues are waiting to take your driving licence photo. Just like our passport photo service, you’ll receive a printed driving licence photo and a digital copy which comes with our guarantee. 


While driving in Europe, you’ll need to obtain a green card from your UK insurer to prove the vehicle you are driving is insured. It is important to have a physical copy of the green card because electronic copies are not accepted while in Europe. Remember to request your green card from your insurer at least 6 weeks prior to your departure. You can print your green card at home - they no longer have to be printed on green paper. If you’re hiring a vehicle in Europe, your hire company will provide you with a green card as proof of insurance. 

Top of Page