The Timpson Group
Timpson is the UK’s leading retail service provider employing over 3,400 colleagues, with 1,325 owned stores and 110 "Snappy Snaps" franchises throughout the UK and Ireland. Timpson has been established since 1865 and is family owned and run by John Timpson as Chairman and James Timpson as Chief Executive.
The Group continues to expand by opening new stores (mostly concessions or pods in supermarkets), growing its photo business, including the recently converted Tesco Photo Estate and Tesco online service, expanding its national locksmiths business and introducing new services such as mobile phone and iPad repairs.
Upside down management
The Timpson ethos is to provide great customer service and to do this we operate an ‘Upside Down’ management style. We believe the best way to give great customer service is to give freedom to the colleagues that serve customers. The management teams delegate authority but retain responsibility and we have only 2 rules:
- Look the part
- Put the money in the till
- 32 area teams, that consist of an area manager and a team of area development managers and mobile managers – each team supports about 40 stores.
- 5 Excellence Centres that provide specialist help and services on shoe repairs, keys, watch repairs, engraving and photo-processing.
- 21 dry cleaning hubs supporting our network of 750 dry cleaning stores.
- 2 warehouses, including a specialist photo warehouse in Ellesmere Port.
- A support office - Timpson House - based in Manchester which provides support to the store colleagues with people support, training, customer care, shop development, buying, payroll and finance.